Here are some tips to help keep your self-tan last as long as possible!
Prep a few days beforehand
- Put an extra dose of lotion on any dry areas (knees, elbows, ankles, for a day or two prior to tanner application. This will help prevent extra product absorbing in those areas which could make it look blotchy.
- Shave the day before for two reasons: when you shave, you can create tiny micro-tears in your skin. Applying product immediately after could cause irritation. The second is because shaving opens the pores (follicles) and more product can sink in, creating tiny dark spots where all of your hairs are. It is also recommended to not shave right after a tan, or even for a few days, because it will make your tan fade faster.
When it’s time to apply, here are some more helpful hints
- Exfoliate and moisturize. Use an oil-free exfoliator and moisturizer. Oil will create a barrier on your skin which will interfere with the tanner. Wait about 20 minutes after moisturizing before applying tanner to allow the moisture to absorb.
- Always use a tanning mitt. If you don’t have one you could use latex gloves. This will help avoid those stained palms and areas between your fingers!
- Apply in a cool, dry area. Cool so you don’t sweat and dry so there’s no moisture in the air. You don’t want anything creating a barrier between the tanner and your skin.
- Skip hands, feet, elbows, and ankles on the first pass. Since these areas will likely absorb more pigment, you can come back to them at the end and just do a light application.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before getting dressed or going to bed to prevent the tan from rubbing off on clothes or sheets. Wait at least 6 hours to get wet to make your tan last longer.
- Disinfectants and hand sanitizer may affect how long your tan lasts. If possible, use a mild hand soap instead of a hand sanitizer that contains alcohol to help prevent it from fading.
- Be sure to wash your tanning mitt after use. If the tanner sits and dries in the mitt, it could cause streaks the next time you go to use it.